Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Goodbye Portsmouth, Hello Star Island


It's about a month and a half old now, but do yourself a favor and check out the link here (and below) for a great post by Peter Egelston of the Smuttynose Brewing Company that goes into tremendous detail about the story behind the creation and ultimate demise of the Portsmouth Lager. Yes, it's a bit of a lengthy post, but is well worth the read, particularly if are from or have ever spent any time living in New England, as I did.

While for me the Portsmouth Lager typically got lost in the sea of lagers out there, I still picked it up on occasion and it will always hold a special place in my heart as it was introduced right around the time that I started becoming interested in craft beer while living in Boston. I'm sad to see it go, but ultimately respect and completely understand and agree with the reasons for it's departure as noted in Egelston's post.

Star Island Single, the beer that has been tapped to replace the Portsmouth Lager, has been on the market for a brief while now and I think it's quite tasty and a hell of a session beer, and in the end was a smart choice for replacing the Lager.

Enjoy: Why we've Retired Porstmouth Lager


.