Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Captain and the Kid


I could watch Deadliest Catch all day. All the episodes are basically the same but there's just something about the insanity of doing that job that reels me in (pun intended) every week (plus it's set up to record on my DVR so I couldn't miss it even if I tried). Needless to say, I was stoked when I saw that Rogue Ales had a special release called Captain Sig's Northwestern Ale, which they've billed as an India Red Ale, so I picked up a bottle and recently gave it a try.

It pours a mediocre but still not bad looking amber color with a somewhat frothy, somewhat creamy (but altogether slightly thinnish) off-white head that leaves a nice amount of residue on the glass after each sip.

I liked the aroma, simple as it was: caramel sweetness, some fruity hops and a hint of toasted bread here and there. These characteristics all hit in the flavor as well, but in a different fashion. They were more balanced overall in the aroma. Here, there's more of a bite from the hops and sweetness is subdued and left toward the back of each sip. There's a nice breadiness that leads the way here as the dominant flavor.

This wasn't a bad beer overall. Again, the aroma doesn't match the flavor. Well, it matches but is flip flopped in terms of dominant charateristics. It's easy to drink and flavorful but not overly memorable. Very much middle of the road in those terms. I would have this one again for sure, but it wouldn't be my first choice, especially given the overly inflated prices of Rogue bombers.

I suspect that most people who try it will like it but not love it, just as was the case with me.

Hopback, beer, Deadliest Catch, India Red Ale, Rogue, Oregon, Northwestern, Captain Sig's Northwestern Ale